Gompu’s Hotel is one of the pioneers in the hospitality business in Kalimpong. It all began in the early 1900s before World War II when Gompu Tsering, one of the early Tibetan settlers in pre-independent India, decided to share his culinary skills with the local people and started a confectionary outlet and a boarding house. Over the years his efforts evolved to become a popular restaurant and bar, and a hotel with full amenities.
From the early days, Gompu’s was patronized by the local people and during the war it became a popular pub for wounded soldiers from the Burmese front who were brought to Kalimpong, Takdah and the neighboring hills to rest and recuperate in the pleasant climate of this sub-Himalayan region.
Within walking distance from the main bus station, Hotel Gompu’s is located in the heart of the town at Damber Chowk. A prominent landmark in town, Damber Chowk was originally called Maharani Chowk (Queen’s Square) because the people of Kalimpong constructed a Newari pagoda style monument at the site in 1904 to commemorate the coronation of Queen Victoria .
Gompu’s has recently been fully renovated and is managed by the fourth generation Gompu family. It offers 14 well-furnished spacious rooms with wireless internet connection and modern amenities. The in-house restaurant seats 50 persons and specializes in Tibetan cuisine as well as pan-Asian, local, and some continental cuisine. The well-stocked bar offers a variety of alcoholic beverages.